SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spread through respiratory droplets when a person talks, laughs, sings, coughs, or breathes. These respiratory droplets are so small that they cannot be seen by the naked eye. So how can you expect to protect yourself against them?
Disinfecting is the best solution. Regular and thorough cleaning with disinfectants can help eliminate SARS-CoV-2 germs in their tracks. But, you need to ensure that the disinfectants you are using are strong enough to kill viruses.
What Is The Difference Between Cleaning And Disinfecting?
The Centre for Disease Control says that frequently cleaning high-touch surfaces like light switches and countertops is not the same as disinfecting or sanitizing them.
Cleaning is only known to remove germs, not kill them. So, you are essentially moving germs from one surface to another when you wash a surface with soap and water.
Disinfecting is killing germs and bacteria that cause COVID-19. Disinfecting is a great way to reduce the risk of contracting COVID-19 and protect your health. To disinfect your office or household properly, you need to use specific disinfectant products.
Overall, cleaning lacks effectiveness when it comes to infectious diseases like coronavirus. While it is a great way to make the surface of your home shine, cleaning is essentially spreading infection from a high traffic area of your household to other surfaces. For COVID-19 prevention, you should opt for disinfecting instead.
What Products Are Best For Disinfection?
Many commonly-found disinfectants are strong enough to kill SARS-CoV-2 respiratory droplets. Read below to learn which disinfectants you can incorporate into your cleaning routine.
Note: Our cleaning experts know that instructions and warnings differ from product to product. That’s why we recommend that you read the product label for more information about how to safely use a product. The manufacturer’s instructions will provide a detailed set of instructions.
1. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a strong disinfectant that, unlike most disinfectants, has no alcohol content. Rather, hydrogen peroxide is made up of two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atoms (hence its chemical formula H2O2).
Pharmacies exclusively sell hydrogen peroxide mixed with water. Nevertheless, 3% hydrogen peroxide is still strong enough to kill virus bacteria.
We recommend that you wash the surface with soap and water before applying hydrogen peroxide. After, apply the disinfectant with a spray bottle or rag. Hydrogen peroxide is most also effective when it sits on surfaces for at least 10 minutes at room temperature.
Hydrogen peroxide is perfect for electrostatic fogging because it does not need to be wiped off of surfaces after. However, it is important to note that it can whiten fabrics.
2. Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol, also known as isopropyl alcohol, is a strong disinfectant product that can be used on a wide variety of surfaces. In our experience, it is best used to clean electronics, equipment, and other surfaces. Simply place some disinfectant on a cloth, and wipe the surface to disinfect it.
For the best results, you should use isopropyl alcohol with at least 70 percent alcohol content. Alcohol disrupts membranes, killing the virus with ease.
Much like hydrogen peroxide, you should wash the surface with soap or detergent before applying the disinfectant. Apply the sanitizer and let it sit on the surface for 30 seconds. Wipe it off after and enjoy your clean surfaces.
Bleach is the most common household disinfectant—and for good reason. Bleach kills bacteria within 10 to 60 minutes of contact and is available at a low cost. Its fast results and low price point make this the perfect choice for people who want to protect their household against the virus.
When cleaning and disinfecting surfaces with bleach, you will need to take the necessary precautions to protect your health; bleach has many strong chemicals that could cause harm to you or the people you love. You should always wear gloves while using bleach to avoid skin irritation. Bleach should also be kept out of the reach of children and pets because it can be fatal if consumed.